<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 20, 2003

The 7% Solution 

I was thinking about the Curtis Strong trial last night and thought that it would make a good entry this weekend. As fate would have it, today is the 18th anniversary of the day that a federal jury in Pittsburgh found Strong, a caterer, guilty of selling cocaine to major league ballplayers.

I had a lengthy article ready to go, but lost it in the ether this afternoon. In any case, David Schoenfield listed the Pittsburgh drug trial as the second biggest sports trial in the 20th century. If you ask me, that's stretching things. The NFL vs USFL, Black Sox, and Curt Flood vs MLB trials (not to mention a few others) are all more important from an historical perspective.

The trial was sensational. Several star players who were once heavy coke users, including the Kansas City Royals' Lonnie Smith, the Cincinnati Reds' Dave Parker and the New York Mets' Keith Hernandez, were granted immunity to testify against Strong. If you use sensationalism as an equivalent to importance when it comes to trials (as alot of people unfortunately do,) then I can understand the high ranking. Schoenfield apparently used hype as a factor, because the O. J. Simpson murder trial was ranked number one. I would suggest, however, that the Black Sox trial was more sensational than the Pittsburgh drug trial.



Now, it's time for an admin note. I added a comments function to this blog. I look forward to hearing what you have to say about my blog.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?