<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Bristol Red Sox 

Hey there, folks! Tonight I want to talk about the first minor league team that I ever saw, the Bristol Red Sox. Some roving instructor from the Red Sox system came by to our Farm League when I was 9 or 10 and gave us tickets to a game. That would have been either 1977 or 1978. Bristol had had teams before, but the Red Sox were their most successful franchise on the field. (See this webpage.) In their ten year history, the Sox won three Eastern League championships. Players such as Jim Rice cut their teeth here. FWIW, I believe that Roger Clemens is the last active player to have played for Bristol.

Bristol played their home games at Muzzy Field. The field was named after Bristol Parks commissioner Adrian Muzzy back in 1912 in memory of his two sons. If you look 3/4 of the way down this page, you'll see that it claims that Frank Sinatra Junior served as vice president of the team. I find this story spurious, but if anyone knows anything, let me know.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?