<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, December 08, 2003

Addie Joss Day photo 

I haven't been writing here much lately. I've been working on a history of sabremetric thought and it is taking up more of my free time than I thought. But I want to tell you about a photo that I bought at the SABR meeting I attended a couple of weekends ago. Bob Wood, who is the son of Smoky Joe Wood was there and he was selling some photograph's from his father's collection. On that caught my eye (enough for me to part with $20) was a picture that had Ty Cobb in a Cleveland Indian's uniform.

I've been searching on the web for the photo since then and finally found it at Baseball Library. It was from the July 24, 1911 Addie Joss Day game that was played to benefit Joss's widow. On April 14 of that year, the baseball world was stunned by the news that Addie Joss, star pitcher for Cleveland, had succumbed to meningitis. There's alot of star power in that pic.

BTW, in searching for the pic, I discovered that Baseball Library has quite a few excerpts from baseball books.

Enjoy!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?